Thursday 11 April 2019

Enhancements

Sometimes I wished I had a micro layout, it would have been finished long ago and I could have gone fishing or something else. No I am stuck with the monster I created but even though I have been slogging away over the last three years I can finally see progress.
On the old HO layout I would do a scene so that it was passable to view but always with the intention that I would revisit a scene and do some fine detailing. That never happened. So when you wish for a monster layout beware they can be a time absorber. Many people with large layouts often have help from friends to help complete their dreams. I have always preferred to start and finish my layout but are happy to listen to comments and advice along the way to the end. I can never imagine Leonardo Da Vinci saying to a mate, "Can you paint the eyes for me while I concentrate on the legs"!
Like a colouring in drawing the more I visit the shed the more blank spaces get completed.

 

I made a revisit to the trestle area recently and although it is fairly complete there is always something more or better can be done. The trestle area has two areas that back onto the backscene. It was always my intention to fill them in one day with something suitable.
I went onto the internet and looked for suitable pictures that might work OK for a backscene, I just typed in 'images for gullies' or something like that and many choices were presented. It was just a matter of selecting one and printing it out. I think I got lucky with my choice. The original was smaller than I wanted so after stretching the image it was good to go. The sky also had to be removed as it would have clashed with my sky wall already painted. It would be ideal to have some clouds on the backdrop but I was not ready, willing or capable of doing so. I was prepared ahead for this backdrop photo to be placed as when I constructed the scenery up against the backdrop I made sure there was enough room to slide a picture into place. I was amazed that I could actually think that far ahead.
Before

When you look closely at the picture I think there is what appears to be a creek heading off in the distance and certainly would not be the feed for existing waterfall. Anyway this vista is meant to be viewed from a distance and the detail all blends in, hopefully the eye follows the train as it goes over the trestle.
After
Anyway I was happy with the end result, it gives the scene some depth. On the opposite side of the trestle there is a road that similarly heads into the 'blue wall' I had a photo left over from the HO days that I rescued and attacked with the scissors (again) and put it in position. It is not a perfect blend but for now it will do. I have only seen roads blended perfectly into the backscene a few times and one is on Alan Rockets On30 layout.
Road under the trestle heading off into the distance


Are they looking at the train or waterfall?
Another item that was completed (after much complaining from the bushwalkers) was to complete the bridge at the bottom of the waterfall. This now completes a circular path and it now possible for them to be able to fall off both sides onto the floor.

I will conclude with some other shots that were taken at Broadwater and Eden. Broadwater is nicely situated near the roller door and the afternoon sun can have some nice lighting effects.
Shay NO 12 at Broadwater
8A basking

8a arriving Broadwater

8A will come over soon and get the passenger car for the next train

A well worn path to the engine shed
The train ready to head off to Bega
Well it's getting late and I'm off to Maitland tomorrow on a steam train, more on that later, so I'll go and hit the sack!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bob. Very impressive "backscenes" complementing your beautiful "trademark" scenes with lots of "green stuff".
    I'll have add some backscenes like what have done but with a "monster" like what you talk about, it will be a job for 'ron, much later on.
    I need to revisit your new South Coast Rail for a scenery "clinic". Regards Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob,
    Both back scenes work very well and definitely enhance the particular areas of the layout. However, I suspect that you might regret it if your sometime wish for a micro layout came to pass. While you might go fishing, I reckon you'd spend that time planning another layout. In reality, we never really finish a layout regardless of it's size.

    cheers Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Phil, the idea of a micro layout would drive me crazy very quickly
      Bob

      Delete