Tuesday 13 July 2010

Getting there slowly
Well a week has gone by and I have had a chance to fiddle with the video editing programme and tried to make some sense of all the multiple drop downs and learn a new lingo.
I not sure whether being an older fart has any thing to do with the ability to be able to turn on and use a computer, programme a VCR or set an alarm clock and understand what you are doing. It seems if you were born in the nineties that a recent addition to the gene pool is an ability to turn on electronic components and immediately be able to know what you are doing.
Kids of today are educated in the use of buttons the minute they are born. So rocking up to kindergarten and being given a laptop is no big deal.
I studied the manual that came with the video camera and although giving me the basics, still didn't give me answers to questions I had like what format will will it end up in?. Thank goodness for Youtube and its many tutorials people have kindly made for dumfclots to learn by.
After watching one usefull Youtube on editing I managed to put something together. So at the end I needed to save all my work. Now all my life I have been told to "save as" when I've finished a file. Did this work? No. I looked for and "export' option and couldn't see that either. What I was supposed to do was to 'Render' a term I had only heard used previously with the word 'cement' put in front of it.
Anyhow I tried that and in the list of dropdown of option formats noticed the word 'pal' and chose that. This is the area where I think a clearer explanation could be given. Maybe they could be arranged in pecking order from best quality to lousy at the end.
One of the formats I has chosen and finally offered to Youtube to upload had a massive file size of 1.15gb. After nearly choking the Youtube server, it got revenge and invited me back after 658 minutes to see my results.
After another visit to my resident IT guy, we worked out a smaller file size and I have uploaded it tonight.
Go easy on me, its my first attempt at editing and trying out the camera. And I know you might get sick of seeing 6039 starring but at this stage its the only sound loco I have until Uncle Rons 40 class turns up. If I use other non sound locos then I will have to scrounge around and chase up sound clips to use.
So any way see what you think, here is the first 'edited' clip of South Coast Rail.

4 comments:

  1. I agree, I have just purchased a $4000 program for geographic information systems and the "Save" function doesn't save anything you have done in the various sub menus such as the "editing menu" hours of work missing1

    The video looks good though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob,
    Very professional. When your up in Brisbane you can take some video of my layout.
    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work Bob. Luv the shot exiting the tunnel, you can even pick out the headlight shinning on the rail head!
    GL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bob,
    I have used "Windows Movie Maker" to do videos
    from the model train shows over the past. It allows me to enter titles, mute the sounds of people in the background and I insert actual sounds I have dubbed from other souces. Might be worth a play around with, ring me if you need more. Great video though. Regards, Jim H.

    ReplyDelete