Monday 21 October 2024

Going Loco

 The main baseboard on South Coast Rail that contains the terminus of Eden was where the layout commenced and that was back in 2016. It seems like yesterday but eight years ago is a long time. On the second baseboard to be constructed I allowed an area to be set aside for the locos to be serviced. So far the ash dump has been constructed. The actual siding that goes through the engine shed is long enough to hold three locomotives comfortably and four at a pinch. Initially the tracks were built around this track and also ballasted, but this track was just a track laid waiting for future development. Eventually I got around to building the base of an engine shed and this was based on a VR narrow gauge shed. It was painted up and just sat there for a while. My intention was to eventually build the shed over the base and allow it to be removable for access to the insides of the shed. I have also plans to put some lights inside. This plan dragged on for a long time until recently I thought why not just put the base down and lay the track and ballast around it and build the shed at a later time.

This was a job I should have a long time ago as it then completes Eden from having a bald spot. Typically the ground around engine sheds is mainly black achieving that look from countless years of oil, coal and grease being absorbed into the soil. I dug into a foam box I had containing a dark ballast. Around the entrance of the shed I sieved the ballast which produced a near powder like finish. This was fixed into position with the two part system. First is to use water with a dash of detergent to enable the glue mixture to flow easily. Then comes  the watered down PVA glue and as soon as it hits the ballast it flows evenly amongst it.

The track was temporarily nailed into position and these were removed as soon as the glue had dried. One thing I had to do also was to solder up the two wires into position under the rails. But what I have done some time ago was to squeeze in a cupboard directly underneath where the two wires drop down and so I will have to empty it out and remove to get access to the wiring.

On the second day this afternoon I checked that the glue had dried. It had and the brads were removed from the middle of the track, it certainly won't move. I have started to introduce the weeds and will gradually increase them until I think it looks 'weedy' enough.

The loco shed may get built one day but at least for now the area looks more complete and finished. I have included a few photos of the last two days work. Plenty more to do.












No comments:

Post a Comment