Meanwhile back at the layout, the trestle has advanced far enough along to be able to finally lay the track across it. The trestle is built on a 30 inch radius curve and fits in nice to the corner module. It took quite a few hours to get the trestle made, but I am happy with the end result.
|Bare roadbed waiting for track|
|Track has been laid across the trestle awaiting ballasting|
|Join between two modules|
|First load of ballast dumped|
I also added a check rail to the trestle as per common practice. It is supposed to prevent rolling stock toppling off when a derailment occurs. I wonder if it will still act that way on the models?
The check rail was made from a piece of leftover Code 75 rail which in theory sits lower than the code 100 rail. This should allow me to clean the track without rubbing off the rusty painted check rail. It didn't end up a perfect parallel track to the main running rail but this should give clearance for the flanges.
Another addition I decided to add to the trestle was the nut and bolt washers on the top timbers. Again I got my inspiration from the Monbulk trestle. There are 182 nut an bolt castings across the top of the trestle. So it took a while to drill all those holes and then place each casting into the hole with a small dab of glue on each one. Now you know why it has been slow progress in this corner.
I decided to model a ballasted top trestle as opposed to open timbers. I am sure this method was quicker and easier to do.
|Looking the opposite direction from the previous photo|
I chose to add an oil/grease trail across the middle of the tracks, this gives some variation.
|Climax 8 trundles across the ballasted trestle|
|NA + trestle|